This week in the Orlando region, Osceola County welcomes a new semiconductor research and development firm, and one local tech company is ready to launch despite all setbacks.
Message from the Orlando Tech Council Chair
Members of the Orlando Tech Community,
This was an exciting week for the Orlando region with local startups and new-to-market companies meeting new milestones.
Osceola County welcomed a new semiconductor partner, Skywater Technology, to officially operate the County’s Center of NeoVation, including BRIDG. This new partnership will build upon and expand current partnerships with BRIDG in NeoCity, including IMEC, Tokyo Electron Ltd. (TEL), Siemens and SÜSS MicroTec. With 2,170 annual graduates in related fields of optics and photonics and the 23,360 workers in this space including electrical engineers, semiconductor processors, and more, there’s no doubt Skywater saw the untapped potential of the Orlando region. We look forward to all the future success this new partnership will bring to the region.
We also heard good news from local tech startup Pink Lotus. After being forced into survival mode like so many businesses last year, they are just weeks away from launching their app and opening sales of their wearable child monitoring device. Pink Lotus leveraged relationships from the UCF Business Incubation Program to secure a license for patented technology from NASA to support their product. It’s this kind of news that accelerates growth for startups and second stage companies in an ecosystem.
This is a great example of the work happening within the Orlando Tech Council. By increasing the connectivity of the region’s tech and innovation ecosystem, we will see a great impact to the local economy that makes waves on a global scale.
Stay tuned for more news, events and ways to connect with the Orlando region’s tech and innovation economy.
Orlando Tech Council Chair
Profiles in Tech
Charlie Lewis, Orlando Tech Council Programming Committee Chair-Elect and CEO & Founder, BlueWave and BioAway
Charlie tells us what brought him to Orlando, what’s keeping him here and hw being here is integral to his personal and professional success. Read more here.
Save the Date | Upcoming Events
Events for the Week of February 1
Thursday, February 4
1 p.m., Orlando Business Journal – 2021 Future of Workforce
Events on the Horizon
February 12-15, 2021 – Otronicon
February 17, 2021 – UCF Technology Ventures Symposium
February 18, 2021 – GrowFL Companies to Watch
March 3-4, 2021 – Florida Venture Forum
March 8-11, 2021 – Synapse Summit
March 18, 2021 – Avalon Park Group – The 5th Floor co-working space grand opening
ICYMI | News from the Orlando Region
- The Orlando Region Welcomes SkyWater technology to Osceola County – Orlando Economic Partnership
- Tech startup Pink Lotus ready to launch product after pandemic forced it into ‘survival mode” – Orlando Business Journal
- Orlando Regional Workforce Data Analysis of 2020 Trends – Orlando Economic Partnership
- LSQ Experiences Explosive Platform Growth in 2020 – Cision PR Newswire
- Orlando Selected as Pilot City for American Dream 2021: Showcase of Smart Homes – Cision PR Newswire
- Defense Threat Reduction Agency Awards $75M for Antibiotic Drug Development – Global Biodefense
- What makes Embry-Riddle the best: innovation, flexibility, connecting across a distance – The Daytona Beach News-Journal
- Lilium to Expand Planned Florida eVTOL Network – AIN Online
- NSU Florida’s new Innovation Center will be hub of opportunity – University Business
- Revolutionizing Energy Storage with Nanostructured Alloys – AZoNano
- Five mobility trends to watch out for in 2021 – Intelligent Transport
- World’s First Hybrid-Quantum Computer AI Advances to Finals in $500k Pandemic Response Challenge sponsored by Cognizant – EIN Presswire
- Six Cities Share $745,000 in Grants for Sustainability Projects – Waste 360
- Cognizant and XPRIZE Announce Finalists For $500k COVID-19 Pandemic Response Competition – HIT Consultant
- Biz4intellia Emerges with yet another Innovative Solution for Industries-An IoT-powered Water Leak Detection System – EIN Presswire
- OneDigital Acquires Fulcrum Partners – StreetInsider.com
- Final week to apply for Inaugural Synapse Innovation Awards – Synapse
*Have a story you would like OTC to feature? Email Sheena.Fowler@Orlando.org
The Orlando Tech Council is composed of private industry, resource organizations and public partners that work to develop new programs with the core objectives: strengthen the Orlando region’s innovation resources, create new opportunities for companies to scale, and to amplify the region’s success stories, raising the global profile of Orlando as a leading community for entrepreneurship and innovation.