This week in the Orlando region, from defense to real estate, tech companies are on the move. Read about this and more news from across the region in the WeeklyTech Round-Up.
Message from the Orlando Tech Council Chair
Dear members of the Orlando region’s tech community,
This has certainly already been an interesting start to the year from the global pandemic that seems to be never ending, to national political events, to the rocky economy. What we do know in this still uncertain time, is that the Orlando region’s economy and its businesses are ready to recover and reconvene – and so is the Orlando Tech Council.
If you missed the year-end recap from the final 2020 newsletter, we’ve included it below. You will find the breadth of work we accomplished despite all obstacles. My intention, when we started this mission to launch the Orlando Tech Council with the Orlando Economic Partnership, was to create the foundation of a long-lasting organization that would serve the region’s innovation and technology ecosystem. The singular focus of our work is to increase the maturity of our ecosystem. We know that’s possible by uniting our efforts across the region to work smarter together, to leverage resources for the better benefit of the economy and to amplify the successes so that more may have the opportunity to know what’s happening in the Orlando region’s tech community welcoming more talent, investment and partners.
It’s bittersweet that I write this message as my term as chair of the Orlando Tech Council comes to a close this month, don’t worry I’ll have one more message from the chair next week before I hand this over. Many of the elements we collaborated on will come to life in 2021 including the ecosystem directory and hopefully in-person events. I have full confidence that the incoming chair, Rajiv Menon will execute and improve upon the foundation we built this past year. I am proud of our work and look forward to continuing my involvement in the council as the first immediate past-chair of the Orlando Tech Council.
Orlando Tech Council Chair
Year in review: Orlando tech startups partnered with giants Microsoft, Slack, Epic Games and others
2020 was a banner year from Orlando-region companies partnering with global brand. Check out this Orlando Business Journal article to read more.
Orlando Lights the Way for Angel Investors
There is a palpable undercurrent of momentum in the Orlando tech community propelled by several recent milestone successes by icons in the region’s tech ecosystem. Read more about in this article written by the Orlando Tech Council’s Sheena Fowler.
Save the Date | Upcoming Events
Events for the Week of January 11
12 p.m., UCF – Cohort #2 of Business Modeling Boot Camp Begins
4:30 p.m., Synapse Florida – Libate and Learn ep. 25: New Year, New You
Midnight, Rollins College – Submission deadline for Crummer Rollins Venture Plan Competition
9 a.m., 1 Million Cups (1MC)
1 p.m., America’s SBDC Florida – How SBA Can Help Your Small Business Achieve the American Dream
1 p.m., Orlando Business Journal – 2021 Business of Sports
Events on the Horizon
ICYMI | News from the Orlando Region
- Game changed: These Orlando tech execs took a firm public and won a space station contract – Orlando Business Journal
- Real estate developer makes moves in tech and manufacturing, other key players in innovation – Orlando Business Journal
- Orlando startup Solodev partners with Amazon to test its tech. Here’s how. – Orlando Business Journal
- Winter Springs data startup Sportzcast to grow after London firm buys it – Orlando Business Journal
- These Orlando firms hunt for office space with high-tech infrastructure – Orlando Business Journal
- Year in review: Orlando tech startups partnered with giants Microsoft, Slack, Epic Games and others – Orlando Business Journal
- Smart queues and flying sims: These Universal patents hint at future tech in the works – Orlando Business journal
- OCPS partnership to benefit tech students – Orange Observer
- Startup Echelon to grow Orlando presence after Goldman Sachs investment – Orlando Business Journal
- Lockheed martin and Northrop Grumman among top local contract winners of 2020 – Orlando Business Journal
*Have a story you would like OTC to feature? Email Sheena.Fowler@Orlando.org
The Orlando Tech Council is composed of private industry, resource organizations and public partners that work to develop new programs with the core objectives: strengthen the Orlando region’s innovation resources, create new opportunities for companies to scale, and to amplify the region’s success stories, raising the global profile of Orlando as a leading community for entrepreneurship and innovation.