This week in the Orlando region, the launch of a new source for local innovation news, a local pro-athlete shares interest in investing in technology and an Orlando entrepreneur is featured in Forbes Next 1000 list.
Message from the Orlando Tech Council Chair
Happy Friday, all.
We’ve just added two new, exciting ways to learn about all the exciting things happening in the Orlando region’s tech and innovation ecosystem – our new podcast, O, The Innovation and our media partnership launch of OrlandoInno. Please subscribe and share those channels with your network to help tell our region’s story.
Episode 2 of the podcast is on The Rise of the Video Game Industry featuring Daryl Holt, Vice President / General Manager of Electronic Arts, Sean Pinnock, CEO of CyberDream, creator of Virtual Battlegrounds (#2 on Steam Charts), and Deanna Galbraith, Founder / Creative Director at Captilight — all incredible thought leaders here in our own community scoring big wins in their industry.
And don’t miss this week’s profile in tech featuring one of the most consistently dedicated Orlando tech ecosystem supporters, Daryl Holt, who talks about Orlando’s growing experience economy and how the region offers exceptional quality of life options.
Our next council meeting is July 13. If you’re interested in learning more about how you can contribute to the acceleration of the region’s tech and innovation ecosystem through the work of the Orlando Tech Council reach out to Lindsey Sandrin.
Stay tuned for more news, events, and ways to connect with the Orlando region’s tech and innovation economy. Also, feel free to share this newsletter with friends and colleagues who can get on our mailing list here.
Orlando Tech Council Chair
Profile in Tech: Daryl Holt, Electronic Arts
In this edition of Profiles in Tech, Daryl Holt, Vice President and General Manager of Electronic Arts (EA-Tiburon, EA SPORTS Austin, & EA SPORTS Madrid) at Electronic Arts (EA), talks about Orlando’s growing experience economy and how the region is where living is brought to life. Read more here.
A gateway to Orlano Inno and the city’s ecosystem
The new platform seeking to catalyze the region’s ecosystem, OrlandoInno, created by a partnership with the Business Journals and American Inno is finally live! Here you can sign up for things like a twice-a-week newsletter, weekly editorial, quarterly events, the Orlando Tech Council’s regional tech and innovation directory, data and more. Read more about the launch here.
A big thanks to the Orlando Business Journal and our fellow founding partners, Crummer Graduate School of Business at Rollins College, Soliman Productions, Lowndes and the FL High Tech Corridor, who all helped launch this effort. We can’t wait to partner on more content and events that benefit the growth and maturity of our region’s tech and innovation community.
Check out all the great articles posted on Orlando Inno including these hot headlines:
- The Orlando tech ecosystem at a glance
- Why this entrepreneur and his investor moved here from Miami
- Startup to put first bar into outer space
- Health tech startup to expand, here’s how
How Orlando Magic Guard Gary Harris grew to enjoy venture captial, technology, real estate and other business topics
26-year-old Orlando Magic shooting guard, Gary Harris, is flexing his skills beyond the court with an interest in venture capital and technology. He recently invested in the Miami-based Swiftarc Ventures Labs Fund and the fund’s co-founder Sid Jawahar comments on how engaged Harris has been in the process, ““The thing that stands out about Gary is he takes the time (to learn),” Jawahar said. “He asks the right questions. I’ve enjoyed working with him because it’s invigorating for me to see that (passion and curiosity) from someone outside the investment world.”” Time will tell if Harris takes this passion to elevate the Orlando region’s tech community. Read more here.
Orlando entrepreneur featured as part of Forbes’ Next 1000
In 2017, Orlando-based Jason Rose launched a mattress company halfway around the world – in Hong Kong – from the comfort of The City Beautiful. He created a custom “bed-in-a-box” to meet the specific needs of Hong Kong residents during the hot summers and sold them online, only recently opening a storefront in the city in 2019, staffed with unemployed salespeople. See the full list here.
Save the Date | Upcoming Events
Events for the Weeks of June 28
Saturday, June 26
June 26 – Black Orlando Tech – BOT Tech Startup Series Begins
Tuesday, June 29
8 p.m. – General Assembly – Non-Tech Roles in Tech: how to Leverage Your Transferable Skills for a Tech Job
5:30 p.m. – Lean Startup Orlando – Innovation in Diversity, Inclusion and Team Building
Wednesday, June 30
9 a.m. – 1 Million Cups
9 a.m. – Tradewind Regional Summit- Orlando MS&T Industry Day
12 p.m. – Upsurge Florida – Inside the Investor’s Mind
1 p.m. – SBDC at UCF – Government Contracting Proposals: Pricing to Win
3 p.m. – VRARA – The Future of the Digital Immersive Enterprise
3:30 p.m. – General Assembly – Women of Color: Debunking Myths About Being Successful in Tech
Events on the Horizon
July 13 – SBDC at UCF – Embracing Change: How to Pivot Your Business in Changing Times
July 27 – Synapse – Libate & learn Episode 34 | Back to the Office: The Transition Back to In-Person Work
August 4-25 – Foundation for Orlando’s Future – SKILLFUL® Talent Series presented by JPMorgan Chase
August 17 – GrowFL – East Central Florida Finalist Celebration
August 19 – Orlando Regional Chamber – All Women Empowered (AWE) Impact Forum | SAVE THE DATE
September 16 – GrowFL – East Central Florida Chapter Membership Mixer
October 15 – Synapse Orlando
October 15-17 – Creative City Project – Immerse
October 22 – GrowFL – Statewide Membership Meeting
ICYMI | News from the Orlando Region
- Use tech to your advantage in hybrid workplaces – Orlando Sentinel
- 40 Under 40: Why Reef Technology’s Justin Kinsey is inspired by the upcoming ‘Space Jam 2’ movie release – Orlando Business Journal
- Stax Joins Forces With Divvy Through New Referral Partnership – Press Release
- Orlando Health St. Cloud Hospital Launches “MyChart” Free Patient Portal – Positively Osceola
- The Wheel at ICON Park Adds Audio Upgrades to Each Capsule – MyNews13
- RedTeam Announces Jim Atkinson as New Chief Executive Officer – Press Release
- Stratos Wealth Enterprises Makes Strategic Investment In Summit Wealth Partners, An Orlando-Based RIA With Six Financial Advisors Overseeing $600 Million In Total Client Assets – Press Release
- UCF Contributes to University Innovation Alliance’s Success Graduating Low-Income Students and Students of Color – UCF Today
- UCF Engineering Professor Reflects on Career for International Women Engineering Day – UCF Today
- 2021 Cade Prize for Innovation Accepting Entries – Press Release
- Space tourism startup flies test balloon 20 miles high over Florida – UPI
- This Windemere Woman Helped Her Miami-Based Company Grow Revenue 350% in One Year from Orlando – Orlando Business Journal
- Operators of shuttered coworking space plan blockchain-based coffee shop – Orlando Business Journal
- Remote work doesn’t prevent innovation, experts say – Orlando Sentinel
- Tampa Bay, Orlando partnership hits new evolution to boost investing across the state – Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Visit Orlando taps into new tech platform to sell attraction tickets – Orlando Business Journal
- UCF to launch its first fintech degree program. Here’s why that matters. – Orlando Business Journal
*Have a story you would like OTC to feature? Email Sheena.Fowler@Orlando.org
The Orlando Tech Council is composed of private industry, resource organizations and public partners that work to develop new programs with the core objectives: strengthen the Orlando region’s innovation resources, create new opportunities for companies to scale, and to amplify the region’s success stories, raising the global profile of Orlando as a leading community for entrepreneurship and innovation.