This week in the Orlando region, meet this year’s recipients of the Orlando Community Grant Program. Read about them and more in this week’s Orlando Tech Council Weekly Roundup.
Message from the Orlando Tech Council Chair
Members of the Orlando Tech Community,
Here are some great announcements to share on community initiatives we’ve been working on:
- Profiles on the winners of the City of Orlando Community Tech Grant
- An inside look at all the Orlando region-based speakers at next week’s Synapse Summit including an Orlando Tech Council-sponsored session featuring members Adam Scheinberg, VP of information technology at Massey Services, and Jason Eichenholz, co-founder and CTO of Luminar
- An exciting scoop on an OTC partnership with the Orlando Business Journal that will amplify the tech news coming out of the region into key markets across the U.S.
- The announcement of the new 2021 Orlando Tech Council leadership
We hope to see you virtually at next week’s Synapse Summit. The Orlando Tech Council will host a virtual booth within the platform and we are sponsoring 25 local tech companies with booths of their own, including Accureg, Home Lending Pal and Black Orlando Tech, just to name a few. General admission is free, get registered here.
Thanks to all members who made it to the Council meeting earlier this week, and especially to those who joined one of our committees. We have ambitious goals for this year, and there are plenty of opportunities to lead and/or support impactful programs. If you or someone you know is interested in contributing to the evolution of the Orlando region’s tech and innovation economy, please reach out to Sheena.Fowler@Orlando.org so that we may get them connected.
Stay tuned for more news, events and ways to connect with the Orlando region’s tech and innovation economy.
Orlando Tech Council Chair
Profiles in Tech
John Meyers, executive director, Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division
This week’s Orlando Profiles in Tech features John Meyers, executive director of the Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division (NAWCTSD). Find out why he says Orlando holds the key to the modeling, simulation and training industry and the reason why he’ll always keep his windows in his zoom background. Read more here.
Synapse Summit 2021 starts Monday with heavy Orlando region presence
Synapse Summit begins Monday, March 8 with an incredible lineup of speakers ranging from entrepreneurs to investors to industry and government leaders from across the nation. The Orlando region will be heavily featured in the event, with 25 sessions that feature the region, including five members of the Orlando Tech Council. As a sponsor of the event, the Orlando Tech Council is proud to feature a fireside chat with Adam Scheinberg, VP of information technologies, and Jason Eichenholz, co-founder and CTO of Luminar, titled, “Why not change the world? The Creation of Life-Changing Technologies in Orlando.” General admission to the event is free. Click here to read more.
Orlando Technology Community Support Program Awards six recipients
For the third year, the City of Orlando has announced recipients of the City of Orlando Technology Community Support Program. This year, six recipients will receive a portion of a $65,000 grant to develop local tech-focused programs and events. Click here to read more.
Orlando Tech Council signs on as founding partner of Orlando Inno
We are excited to announce the Orlando Tech Council has signed on as the first founding partner of Orlando Inno, a platform from American Inno and the Orlando Business Journal dedicated to telling, showcasing and sharing the stories that define our city’s thriving startup ecosystem. If you are interested in learning more and becoming one of a few select Founding Partners of the platform, please reach out to Drew Schrimsher.
Orlando Tech Council welcome new leadership team for 2021
With a new year comes a new leadership team at the helm of the Orlando Tech Council. We so appreciate the inaugural leadership team’s strength and tenacity as they piloted the Council through the first year and the challenges that came with the pandemic. Our new leadership team is excited to expand upon the foundation that has been laid and is ready to help the Council continue to grow and make an impact on the tech and innovation ecosystem of the Orlando region. Read more about our new leaders here.
Save the Date | Upcoming Events
Events for the Week of March 8
Monday, March 8
9 a.m., Synapse Summit begins
Tuesday, March 9
9 a.m., Synapse Summit continues
Wednesday, March 10
8:30 a.m., Synapse Summit continues
9 a.m., 1 Million Cups (1MC)
11 a.m., General Assembly – Womxn at Work | Female Funders: Womxn Investing in Womxn
Thursday, March 11
8:30 a.m., Synapse Summit continues
11 a.m., Central Florida Tech Grove – Tech Grove Connect
4 p.m., i4 Business – Women’s Inspired Leadership Awards Ceremony (virtual)
Events on the Horizon
February 6-March 14 – Creative City Project – Down the Rabbit Hole
March 18 – Avalon Park Group – The 5th Floor co-working space grand opening
March 18 – Orlando Innovation Economy Group – A New Vision for Building Orange County’s Innovation Economy
ICYMI | News from the Orlando Region
- New Orlando tech entrepreneurship programs to launch – Orlando Business Journal
- SolarSkin Technology Installed at Universal Orlando – Solar Industry
- Record budget, Big Tech regulation among big issues lawmakers will face during Florida’s legislative session – Click Orlando
- SpaceX’s Starship may land people on the moon. Its first mission? Don’t blow up. – Orlando Business Journal
- Big Tech battle begins: House panel OKs bill protecting speech on social media – Florida Politics
- Altitude International Holdings Signs Agreement with the Orlando Magic – Yahoo! Finance
- New Roller Coaster Track Innovation could usher in a new Golden Age of roller coasters – Theme Park Tourist
- Disney celebrates a century of magic with new exhibit – Inside the Magic
- Luminar exec: Still a ‘long road ahead’ until fully autonomous vehicles – Orlando Tech News
- Dennis R. Pape: 3 things to tell potential investors in your pitch – Orlando Tech News
- UCF VR experts gather for online forum as part of group’s monthly meetup – Orlando Tech News
- Informa Markets Drives Economic Recovery with Safe and Successful return to the show floor – Street Insider
- High frequency indicators of economic recovery – Orlando Economic Partnership
*Have a story you would like OTC to feature? Email Sheena.Fowler@Orlando.org
The Orlando Tech Council is composed of private industry, resource organizations and public partners that work to develop new programs with the core objectives: strengthen the Orlando region’s innovation resources, create new opportunities for companies to scale, and to amplify the region’s success stories, raising the global profile of Orlando as a leading community for entrepreneurship and innovation.